Tonight, make homemade macaroni and cheese instead of using a box. There is no need for layers of ingredients for baked macaroni and cheese to be the comfortable dinner you crave. This homemade Mac and Cheese Recipe will quickly become a family favorite.
So let’s get to the Mac and Cheese Recipe!
Mac and Cheese Recipe
The process of making homemade macaroni and cheese can be intimidating if you’ve never done it before. But don’t worry, we’ll take it slowly!
- Preparation – 15 Mins
- Cook: 35 mins
- Total: 50 mins
- 1 lb. macaroni
- 3 large eggs
- 4 cups extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 c. Colby jack-cheddar blend
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 2 cups whole milk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven up to 350° Fahrenheit and butter, or spray a large, deep baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cook macaroni according to the written instructions on the package in a large pot of salted boiling water until Al Dante. After draining and rinsing with cold water, set aside.
- Place half of the macaroni mixture in the prepared baking dish.
- Add another layer of macaroni and another layer of Colby-cheddar cheese combination on top.
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil & just bake for 25 to 35 minutes. Do not overcook! When taken from the oven, it may be a little jiggly.
- Start the broiler in the oven. Top with the remaining cheddar cheese. Then broil for a rich brown finish! As it cools, it will harden.
Tips For Mac And Cheese Recipe:
- Reduce the typical cooking time for the pasta. Since the pasta will continue to get cooked in the oven, it must be served al dente to prevent it from turning mushy.
- After adding the milk to the pan, it must be constantly stirred. If you allow the pan to become too hot or if you leave it for even a minute, the white sauce will curdle.
- Use high-quality cheese for making baked macaroni and cheese. Because of the cellulose component, pre-shredded, bagged cheeses should be avoided.
- If you want your baked macaroni and cheese to have the finest flavor and texture, you must use two distinct types of cheese.
- Pasta and cheese sauce can be made in advance if chilled, covered, and refrigerated until baking time. Two days, maximum. Cook in the oven until bubbling and well heated throughout.
How To Store Leftover Mac and Cheese?
Once the leftovers have cooled, store them at room temperature. Then, place it in fridge in an airtight container for up to four days.
In the microwave or oven, reheat the homemade macaroni and cheese. Add a tablespoon or two of milk if you’re worried about it drying out during reheating.
You can freeze homemade Mac and cheese if you don’t expect to eat it within four days. Transfer your leftovers to zip-top freezer bags in serving sizes. Wrap each bag with aluminum foil & place it in the freezer for up to 6 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
This was all about the Mac and Cheese Recipe. This is a great side dish to enjoy with the whole family, or you can bring it to the next potluck as a fun casserole. So take a little time and make this simple Mac and cheese.
Thank you for reading!